Sunday 9 September 2018

Hidden Corners and Alleys

I've been meaning to post this for a while. So many visitors to Rhodes have the impression that the only area of town that has any charm is the Medieval Town or "Old Town" as it's also often called.

But walking around to kill time on my excursions, as I so often do, I frequently wander the area inside the larger of the two yellow circles in the aerial shot shown below...


Image courtesy of Google Earth Pro (of course!)
The above shot is looking due west. So, north would be to the right. The smaller circle, just to help you get your bearings, is the location of the (hate to refer to it here, but...) MacDonalds. The Old Town would be left and down a bit. If you look carefully you can spot the two trees just above the centre of the larger yellow circle. These stand right outside the delightful Koukos bar/restaurant (It also has rooms too, by the way). I highly recommend a visit to the Koukos, it's brilliant. Check out the web site (the link is the name above) for more details, but it's really not to be missed when you visit Rhodes. It's located on Nikiforou Mandilara Street, which runs vertically in the photo above. The street is pedestrianised, by the way, too.

Anyway, if you take the time to walk along Nikiforou Mandilara, you'll soon see little side streets and alleys. This is what awaits you if you go exploring in the area..




Nope, not in the Old Town!

Same arch as above, but from further back.



Of course, as a rule, graffiti isn't a particularly attractive sight, but this caught me eye and led me to thinking. In Greek it rhymes, but it says in essence: "You told me to be careful, the world is bad. But you never told me to be on my guard, sadly against you, yourself." I hope it's not the case, but it led me to wondering, what if some poor young girl wrote this about a male relative, maybe a step father, or an uncle. What may that indicate? It prompts me to mention my fourth novel, "Sometimes You Just Can't Tell,"owing to its underlying theme.



There you go. So, if you're on Rhodes any time soon, maybe go and check out this area, north of the college square. The college is the big building with three aspects that is situated between the two yellow circles in the photo.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's checked out the area in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment